Thursday, December 6, 2007

Your Fashion Guru

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
A friend in need asked me to assist him in the wardrobe department. I did not hesitate to answer, "absolutely!" It has been my dream to do makeovers (especially on some guys at church).
Before I knew it, I was joined by 4 guys from the singles ministry at the Galleria Monday night. We started at Express for Men and picked out colorful button tailored shirts. We then moved to jackets, sweaters and belts. As we visited clothing items, I discussed why it would work on their particular frame or why certain colors would go bring out their eyes. The sales guy was giving us weird looks..."why is she helping these guys? Does she work here?" He probably thought to himself. My friend even brought his camera so there we were in the middle of a quite fashionable store with a massive professional camera taking shot after shot. Weird church people.
After over an hour in that store, each guy walked out with at least one item. Yay! Our last stop was Macy's. I quickly ransacked the men's section so find the perfect pair of jeans before the store closed. Jeans were our priority for 2 of the guys and by 9:45 we found them. Perfect. Right cut, right fade, right length. A perfect pair of jeans completely changes the outfit and takes it up a few knotches.
Thankfully, they listened to my words of wisdom and could not stop asking questions!

"How do I wear a tailored button down shirt?" (with a tie of a different pattern or untucked with the sleeves rolled 3/4 length)
"Do I tuck the shirt in?" (yes when it is a dressier occasion and you have a black belt with brushed silver hardware to dress it up. You can also wear a tighter fitting courduroy jacket with it)
"How long should my jeans be?" (Skimming the floor. No at the top of the shoe)
"Are you sure you can wear a sweater over a button down shirt?" (A white button underneath anything instantly gives the outfit dimension and character)
"My jeans I am wearing are not the same as those expensive ones?" (NO! Look at the wash and cut of them)
"What is the new black?" (Color)
"Heather, are you sure?" (Are you seriously asking me that?)
"Are black jeans okay?" (DISCLAIMER:There is a special kind of black jean that Express and other trendy stores sell. Those are okay. Not solid Wrangler types from Wal-Mart)
"I usually wear my belt tight so that it tightens my jeans to show off my backside." (Well if you want to dress like a European, go right ahead. They know how to dress)
"My limit on a shirt is $40. That is it." (You might have to go over that for quality. Think of this as an INVESTMENT)
"See, that shirt is gray. I just love that color." (Gray is not the best color to wear all the time)
"We never pay attention to what girls are wearing. We have no clue about fashion." (Exactly. We don't go through all that hard work and expect for y'all to understand. We just like to look nice :) )
"Now we can be all things to all men when we evangelize!" (You can relate to them more!)


I am so proud that these guys are getting rid of their faded tapered jeans from the early 90's, their flannel shirts, skinny black belts with gold buckles, ratty t-shirts, oversized sweatshirts and white tennis shoes!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

If you need help shopping, I am your new Fashion Guru.

2 comments:

Mary said...

You and Stacy London should work together! You'd have everyone looking good in no time!:)

mel said...

I love it! I wanna go next time!