Monday, June 9, 2008

Summer is here

I started teaching summer school today and I am worn out! I surprisingly got hired to teach electives to Gifted and Talented kids or GT as we call them in education. This program was started by a man who felt GT kids needed enrichment over the summer. Each student or "scholar" as they are called, takes 5 classes a day. Their first class is Manners to Morals. They learn anything from handshakes to making the right choices in life. Then they take Perspectives in 2nd period. This class teaches them perspectives on faith. The other 3 classes are their choice. I teach 1 sewing class and 1 cooking class, which is what I teach during the year so it works out that I actually know what I am doing for once!

The program begins at 8:30 and ends at 3:40. We teach them all kinds of fun songs at the opening and closing assembly that include lots of movement. They absolutely love it! These songs are now stuck in my head and I am positive they will not leave even after the program is over. I have to say these are some of the most amazing kids I have ever met. They are respectful, kind, conversational, pleasant, intelligent, poised, articulate and cute. We taught them procedures all day and they got it! No constantly drilling it in their heads. No yelling "Don't do that!" No continuous discipline. No real worries at all. It is quite refreshing to be around these kids after the tough year I had. The Lord knew I was going to be really tired and unmotivated to work this summer so He provided this job for me. Gosh I am so blessed by it. I so do not deserve it but I am very gracious.
I ended the day with an ab class and Pilates at 24 Hour Fitness. The girl worked us very hard so I do not believe I will be walking smoothly tomorrow! Thank you Lord for this great day!

No comments: