Monday, June 2, 2008

End of the school year


I could not have made it through this year without my wonderful co-workers: Sheila, Adam, Marion (not pictured) and Emily. We all clicked from day one. Adam was new this year and became the 2nd speech and theater teacher. Sheila was in her 5th year at the school and teaches art. Marion, her first year at the school as the ESL helping teacher with 20 years of education experience. Emily, my better half who was going into her 2nd full time year at the school as a Family and Consumer Sciences Teacher.
Let me describe the reasons I love them:
1. Adam-Extrovert, exagerated story teller, who provided much comic relief during our 4 minute breaks from one period to another. He was full of crazy student stories and had great one-liners. He also became our polgyamous husband (me, sheila and emily were his wives). Yep. I said it. It all began at the beginning of the semester when our students thought there was something going between us. "Miss H, I know you like Mr. D. Ooohh is he your boyfriend?" "Miss K, I saw you flirting with Mr. D in the hallway!" They continued to question our association with Adam because from what they could see and understand in their young adolescent minds, either you like him or you don't. There is no friends with the opposite sex. I would try to explain away why but it was no use. I just gave into it! We called little "family" meetings in the hallway and many times Adam would come into our rooms unannounced during class time and make a funny comment about "us" in front of the students. They loved it!
2. Sheila-wife #1 is straightfoward, real, witty and hilarious. She kept me laughing as we did our weekly study hall shift together. She lovingly accepted the Life Skills kids into her art class everyday and said the most funny things to them. We now get to work this summer school job together...thanks to her I actually got the job!
3. Marion-"mom." Her husband a pastors a church in the Jersey Village area and has the most wonderful, sweet, warm, kind personality. She is always upbeat and positive and I never saw her with a down day. She was the mom in our elective wing as she bailed me out of my classroom many times when I got too upset to continue teaching. She was full of godly wisdom and stories about how she met her husband. She encouraged us with her words and shared her hope for Miss K and I that we could meet that special guy someday. She was such a joy to be around!
4. Emily-wife #2. Outgoing, intelligent, unique, disciplined, committed, creative, innovative and helpful. She was the one who led me to this school because she knew there would be an opening. We spent the first semester learning how to work together and communicate. She taught me how to plan lessons, how to teach my kids, how not to take things personal and not to lose my cool with the students. She also shared what the Lord was teaching her and that encouraged me always. She is a healthy fit person so that in turn helped me to become a lot more focused in that area of my life. She loves to cook and shared her methods with me and that inspired me to get busy in my own kitchen. She is incredibly thoughtful and gives great gifts! I will be so sad not to teach with her next year!

2 comments:

Mrs. Klink said...

OMG miss h, can't tell you how much that just blessed me to read that. i think that is the nicest thing anyone has ever said about me.

I'M GOING TO MISS OUR LOVE SQUARE SO MUCH!!!!! :( oops...don't think that sounded quite right.

Sheila said...

Heather...I am so tearied eyed after reading that. How you described us is so special :)) I am going to miss "our family" so much. You, me,and Marion are going to have to stick together. It's just not going to be the same without Emily and Adam. You are so special and I am so glad to have met you and work with you!!! You are truley a wonderful person!!