Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Local Flavor


This past week I have dined out 7 times! Wow that is a record for me. I typically refrain from eating out that much because for one, it is expensive and two, the calories! But eating out to me is a hobby. I enjoy trying out different places in Houston and living like the local that I am. So here is a rundown of the places I HIGHLY recommend:

1. The Chocolate Bar If you physiologically need chocolate like I do, go here...once a week.
2. Escalantes My fave items are the table side guacamole and Pat's Mexico City Salad. They also have a yummy queso so be sure to order it with those bottomless chips. They have locations in Town and Country, Woodway and Voss as well as Highland Village.
3. Singha Thai Restaurant I have never tried Thai food so my sweet friend Jen took me there to partake in Tom Ka Gai soup which is a mix of sliced chicken, coconut milk, galanga, chili and lime. Just don't eat the chili like I did! They don't have milk to take away the bite but they do have cream. This little place has great prices and is located at Westheimer and Bering. Also, beware of the short Hispanic waiter because he will tell you what you are eating is fattening if he does not approve of it.
4.Pho Tan Loc There are many types of pho but I would suggest a combination bowl with chicken. Emily and I ventured onto Bellaire and found this place but If you are adventurous, drive down this long road and check out the restaurants. Bodard is another fave of mine.
5. Kona Grill Has a mix of international dishes but we tried the sushi. Eat the Dragon Roll but start with the Avocado Egg Rolls. Trust me. You cannot go wrong with those! Check out this place in the Galleria.
6. This fabulous Ethiopian restaurant Blue Nile was introduced to me by Emily today as we ate lunch there. It is the only restaurant of it's kind in Houston. We shared a plate of spicy lamb and many wonderful vegetables eaten with teff. We ended the meal with their coffee ceremony and popcorn. You MUST visit this hidden treasure! Just try not to be put off by the location. Kinda shady.

Branch out and get to know this city through it's food. You will be surprised at the gems you can find!

No comments: