Monday, May 12, 2008

Therapy


This past 3 weeks of school I have had my kiddoes sewing aprons. This is their first big project since their beginner class last semester. I knew this project would be a little bit harder to teach since I have NEVER sewn an apron before! But I have enjoyed watching them piece together each part as it slowly came together.

Last week I was sitting down at the table with 3 boys in my 8th period class (my fave period) as I taught them how to hand sew their pocket. One boy had moved on ahead and stitched his pocket wrong to which I pointed out. He seemed a little downcast so I asked what was up.
"It has just been a horrible, horrible day. It's just been bad."
"Well why do you say that S ?"
"My older brother just gets on my nerves because he is always bossing me around. He thinks he knows everything and he can tell me what to do."

The counselor in me started to sympathize with him and give him some advice. Right after S opened up, my fave male student, the brightest, most kind, most mature 8th grader you will ever know, pipes up:

"Yeah, let's have a little therapy session here in our sewing circle! Let's talk about our feelings! This is great Miss Humphrey!"
I laughed aloud and made a mental note to write a blog about his comment. I could not get over it! Where did that come from? None of the other students I have can possibly compare to how profound he is. Everyday he greets me with a smile and calls me Miss Humphrey rather than the impersonal "Miss." When he is in class he talks about funny things, not immature graphic topics. He encourages me to be more professional when I don't respond properly to unruly students. He makes the classroom light hearted when things get serious. He also never cusses or talks about girls in a negative way. In fact, he shared a little fact about himself when he was first in my class. This was his statement:

"You know when I was in 5th and 6th grade I never talked to girls. I was always with the my guy friends. I did not really know how to talk to them. They were never my friends. But last year in 7th grade was the first time girls became my friend. It's really cool how now I talk to girls all the time. I actually know what to say!"

Then one day about a month later as he walked into my classroom, I was standing by my door (we have to greet our students at the door for every class) making conversation with students they walked in. I said to him, "M you were kind of quiet yesterday.
"Really? Well today I am really excited!"
"Why, do you have a new girlfriend?"
"Yeah! She is the girl of my dreams!"


I refrained from saying, oh but she will probably break your heart! You are too young for real love. Just wait till you are older and more serious. Then you can be in a real relationship. Right now, just focus on having friends, staying out of trouble and doing your school work.
All I could do was smile and be happy for him. I knew that the parent in me probably should not burst his bubble.
How could you not love this kid??

2 comments:

karen said...

Gotta be thankful for the kids like that! :)

Mrs. Klink said...

great story. so cute...i love him!