Saturday, May 24, 2008

It's all about us

Yesterday my kids were talking about teachers at the school having a Myspace and how some of them accepted friend requests from students. One of my opinionated girls commented,
"Adults should not have a Myspace. It is only for teenagers and should only be for us. I don't know why y'all be having a Myspace."
To which I said, "Um Myspace is huge and anyone can get on it. Besides, it was created before you all were ever on it!"

I decided to keep the rest of my opinions to myself. These self-absorbed teens would not understand in their adolescence that the world does not revolve around them and that there is life outside of friends, entertainment and crushes.
As I told this story to my mom she laughed aloud and told me that is exactly the type of statement I made to them when I was a self-centered jr. higher.
"Did you imagine yourself being in the opposite role as an adult having teens not appreciate anything you do or say?"
"Nope. I never thought I would be in this position. It seems that no matter what, most of them could care less about what I say and they criticize everything I do! I am never right with them."
She gave some encouraging words but wow do these kids make me feel old! I find myself saying so many typical adult statements like:
"Because I said so."
"No you cannot do that.
"STOP making those noises!"
"Stop talking...for the rest of the day."
"Why aren't you listening?"
"Were you not paying attention?"
"You must have not been listening."
"I am only going to tell you once."
"Just trust me."
"You are only in middle school."
"You are just a teenager."
"It is not all about you."
"Your attitude will not be tolerated."
"With that attitude, there are consequences."

I say all these things but often times with more emotion behind them.
Even though I feel beat down a lot by them, the Lord encourages me with those few kids who really like to share their lives with me and treat me with kindness and respect. He never promised us that we always be treated in the way that we should but I find myself expecting it rather than being surprised by it. Maybe that is why He has me teaching jr. high.

2 comments:

mel said...

my personal favorite thing to say these days is :

"you are done with talking for the day."

Mrs. Klink said...
This comment has been removed by the author.