Monday, May 19, 2008

Another story about my fave sudent

Let's just call him "Aidan" since that is one of my preferred names for a future son...if I have one.

On Friday my kids took their Exploring Foods and Fabrics final exam. As the kids were quietly testing, I walked around the room to monitor. Aidan had finished early but he looked really down and a little worried.

"Are you okay?" I asked.
"No I am worried about the high school courses I have to sign up for next year. We are choosing our classes over the next few days and honestly, I have no clue what I want to do with my life! I mean there are 3 things I could possibly do: be a band director, work in politics, or do something with math since I am good at it. They want us to choose courses that will be on the path of our future career."
"Well the good thing is that you do not have to know right now what to do with your life. Those 3 career paths seem like a great fit for you and you will have many options in high school to figure out what you want to do. Relax! You can decide on all that later!"


He loosened up and began talking about this new girlfriend he currently had. It turns out he had a crush on her since 2nd grade (6 years) and they had been good friends for the last 2 years. She finally returned the feelings. They officially had been together for only a couple of months. When he first told me about her, he called her "the girl of my dreams." Wow. To be in 8th grade and already you have the girl of your dreams. I only fear what comes later in life.
Anyway, Aidan went onto tell me that she really is now allowed to have a boyfriend to which I immediately encouraged him to respect her parent's rules and just be friends with her. He is a good kid and I believe he could be a believer so of course I could not approve of the relationship being behind her parent's back. He said I was right (I usually am).
Fast forward to today. Aidan came to class late. As I greeted him at the door, he came in and apologized. Then he proceeded to sit at his table and lay his head down. This is very uncharacteristic for him as he is almost always lively and smiling. I called up the students one by one to get their exam grade and when Aidan came up, he again looked worried. I questioned him about what was wrong.

"I am just stressed out. I am still trying to figure out what to do with me life but I have no clue. I am also worried since I don't always study all the time for math and I am afraid I will carry those habits into high school. Also, the girl of my dreams broke up with me today. She told me already that she was going to be single in high school to focus on her studies so she was planning to break up with me by the end of the school year. I just did not expect her to break up with me today. I am really sad about it. I just don't understand why it can't work out. I feel like I have these great plans but they just don't go as planned."

"Well Aidan, I am really sorry about the girl breaking up with you. I know that sucks. I totally understand where you are coming from. I do know that there is someone bigger than us that has the best plans for our lives. Even though we think we know what is good for us He knows what is best. You are only in 8th grade so don't stress about your future. You have plenty of time to decide what to do. Also, you never know how life could change for you and the girl. She might change her mind in high school about wanting to be single. Just go into the summer and have a fun time without thinking too hard."


I just feel for this kid. He is going through normal adolescent issues and trying to figure out how to deal with them. I am thankful though that he opens up about his life and it gives me an opportunity to share about THE TRUE ONE who directs our steps and gives a hope for living. Praise the Lord these talks!

No comments: