Monday, July 9, 2007

Back on American soil





I arrived yesterday at 11:05 a.m. save for my luggage, without eating breakfast (everyone knows how important it is for me to eat) , had a very tense ride home from the airport, but lukily was not pulled into the interrogation room at customs and was able to be on the internet the entire day. I am very thankful to be home safely and so grateful to our Father for allowing me to serve Him in this truly amazing country. FYI: I will not be mentioning the name of the country for safety reasons. Pretty much everyone knows where I went. :)


Day 1: We made it to the airport just fine but security stole my packed tuna fish kits and canned fruit because they contain liquid. What?? "Where is the sign that says that?" I asked. "Any liquid is included in that rule," the 2 mean women told me. After they pulled everything out of my backpack and saw that my muffins got squished, the lady asked me if I still wanted them. Well, of course I do! You just took most of my food so I am not letting you have those too!! I walked to my team frustrated already but thankfully everyone offered to share their tuna with me. I just love them! I never had to lack for much food on this trip because so many people brought snacks to share. Thank you Lord!


We arrived in the airport of Havana to many stares and looks. Pastor Darys, along with a few other locals, met us there and took us to the hotel Panorama. Even though it was around 12 am, we could not stop staring out the window the whole way to the hotel. There were tons of people walking the streets. Where were they all going? I was asking in my head. There are no real traffic laws so pedestrians cross the street at their own risk and cars shoot out from every corner. I never even saw a speed limit sign. We were definitely at the mercy of our driver who thankfully brought us safely to the hotel where we checked in smoothly and took pictures of this crazy place. Sleep came easy that night after a long day of travelling.


More to come...

No comments: