Friday, June 22, 2007

Sharing my faith


As many of you know, I have been in certification classes all week through Texas Teachers ACP. We meet at the Renaissance Hotel (in Greenway Plaza) banquet room everyday from 9-4. I even had class on Saturday! Luckily the last class is this Friday and then I am off for my trip!


I have been learning quite a bit about Classroom Management, Lesson Plans, Rubrics, Communication and how to not upset your student's parents. To be honest, I was not too excited about going to class everyday and working on top off that because that means I would be around people all day in class and then have to entertain customers at the restaurant at night. People exhaust me!! (Don't get me wrong, I do love people) I had asked the Lord to let me be Light to my classmates this week and not stay in my little reserved comfort zone. Well, He did just that!


For 4 days straight I had eaten lunch with the same girl and later we were joined by a guy that sits close to us in class.Our conversations have run the gamut from subsituting to Oprah to relationships. Last Friday we actually got to talk about God! I shared my faith with the both of them. The guy, Chris, believes that all religions preach the same thing and basically lead you on the same path. The girl, Rachel, had been raised Catholic, but she and her husband attend a non-denominational church. She has read the Purpose Driven Life and spoke about her role as a mother and how her children are God's children and she is just there to raise them. Chris did not have much to say but I know he heard our conversation. The Holy Spirit spoke through me because the words coming out of my mouth were all His. Praise the Lord!!


For so many years, I have been afraid to speak up about my faith. I was afraid of what others would think of me. Especially when I have not always been a great witness for the Lord. God really convicted my heart because I am so willing to go on a mission trip to share the Gospel but afraid of stepping on the toes of my fellow Americans. Yes, I will be persecuted. Yes, I will not be included into the group. Yes, I will lose friends. But the reward is great.

"What then shall we say in response to this? If God is for us, who can be against us?" Romans 8:31

I take joy in doing your will, my God, for your law is written on my heart. Psalm 40:8

1 comment:

mel said...

classroom management courses are the best ones! they usually give you really good ideas. you should check out one of my favorite books, "you have to go to school-- you're the teacher!". it gives good, easy things you can do in the classroom and it's an easy read.

yeah, I think Afshin will be a good neighbor. I think I freaked him out a little though. I was like a fan asking for an autograph.

hey, maybe you can interpret my cheese dream on my latest post.